General discussion

Serge Eby-2
Dev Team,

Given latest trends on backend (restful api layer) vs. front end, is there any interest in prototyping such solutions with AppFuse?

Serge Eby

Re: General discussion

I believe we already have a REST API provided by CXF, but I could see the need for enhancing it. Personally, when I need a AngularJS + Spring Boot starter app these days - I use JHipster.

I think the biggest value that AppFuse provides now is a learning tool for us developers. Also, it's a good place to show other developers how they can maintain using the same frameworks (e.g. Spring) over several years. Showing how we migrating to Spring MVC Test, for example, might be useful. The upcoming move to Spring Data instead of our Generic DAO solution might be useful as well.

However, I don't know that it has much value as a "webapp starter" anymore. The user mailing list has little traffic, which implies it's not being used much.

Although, the Maven Central statistics seem to indicate archetypes are still downloaded around 1500 times per month.

Serge Eby

Serge Eby

Serge Eby

Re: General discussion

David Whitehurst
I’ve been considering starting a project called ClusterF.  Seriously, everywhere I’ve been, they generally have this bloated monstrosity in place that’s outdated and always behind things that AppFuse offers. I would either add to it or make several application types and continue to maintain archetypes. That’s always considering whether it’s worth your time. Matt, you’ve evidently seen more companies than a lot of us have. You can wheel in and dazzle them with a little Maven and a Jetty plugin.  And, quick. I see the benefit.

I’m totally sick of Javascript and all that aspect of things. But, my mind likes server-side blocks and pretty things that are square and formal.

Do you feel that AppFuse is still popular for new Java application startups? I don’t know.  I’m an employee at this point on clustered JBoss hostings of huge Tapestry applications and I still haven’t learned Tapestry. I can fix a bug in a flash though. I do new complex implementations for different products we host.

I don’t want to see AppFuse stop growing but I don’t couldn’t tell you what anyone wants anymore.

I still believe that if I ran a project (some great business idea) and the development, I would start here. So I think the foundation, codebase, modules, archetypes, Maven, testing, harnesses, plugins, profiles, etc. all provide great value.

David

On Nov 12, 2014, at 2:33 PM, tibor strausz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

<Mail Attachment.png>

On Nov 10, 2014, at 5:47 PM, Serge Eby <<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','serge.eby@gmail.com');" target="_blank" class="">serge.eby@...> wrote:

Dev Team,

Given latest trends on backend (restful api layer) vs. front end, is there any interest in prototyping such solutions with AppFuse?

--
Serge Eby

--
Serge Eby

Re: General discussion

Hello all,

I made some opinionated changes this week and achieved some pretty good progress on simplifying things. Regardless of whether AppFuse is used a lot or not, it should be easy to maintain. The current structure has a lot of duplicate versions, properties and plugin configurations between different projects. I was able to leverage Maven's inheritance model to do a number of improvements:

1. Changed AppFuse's parent to be based on Spring IO Platform. I wrote about this for InfoQ in July: http://www.infoq.com/news/2014/07/springio-platform. It basically defines version numbers for open source projects that work well with Spring.
2. Bumped version from 3.1.0 to 3.5.0 so current SNAPSHOT users are not affected.
3. Define plugins, their versions and their configurations in <pluginManagement>.
4. Define dependencies, their versions and their exclusions in <dependencyManagement>.
5. Simplified archetypes so new projects have minimal dependencies. For example, here's a spring-basic project:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
    <artifactId>appfuse-basic-spring-archetype</artifactId>
    <packaging>war</packaging>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <name>AppFuse Spring MVC Application</name>

    <parent>
        <groupId>org.appfuse</groupId>
        <artifactId>appfuse-web</artifactId>
        <version>3.5.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </parent>

    <build>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>hibernate3-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            </plugin>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>dbunit-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.appfuse</groupId>
            <artifactId>appfuse-${web.framework}</artifactId>
            <version>${appfuse.version}</version>
            <type>pom</type>
            <exclusions>
                <exclusion>
                    <groupId>org.appfuse</groupId>
                    <artifactId>appfuse-hibernate</artifactId>
                </exclusion>
            </exclusions>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>

    <properties>
        <amp.genericCore>true</amp.genericCore>
        <amp.fullSource>false</amp.fullSource>
        <dao.framework>hibernate</dao.framework>
        <db.name>appfuse_basic_spring_archetype</db.name>
        <web.framework>spring</web.framework>

        <!-- Framework/Plugin versions -->
        <appfuse.version>3.5.0-SNAPSHOT</appfuse.version>
        <java.version>1.7</java.version>
    </properties>

    <profiles>
        <profile>
            <id>itest</id>
            <build>
                <plugins>
                    <plugin>
                        <groupId>org.codehaus.cargo</groupId>
                        <artifactId>cargo-maven2-plugin</artifactId>
                    </plugin>
                    <plugin>
                        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                        <artifactId>webtest-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                    </plugin>
                </plugins>
            </build>
        </profile>
    </profiles>
    <reporting>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                <artifactId>webtest-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </reporting>
</project>

The pull request for this change says it all:

AppFuse: +4,070 13,636

AppFuse Light: +579 4,181

There's still 19 issues for AppFuse and 3 for AppFuse Light that I'd like to finish before the next release. My goal is to fix those over the next few weeks and get a release out before the end of the year.

Cheers,

Matt

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 1:19 PM, David Whitehurst <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

thats very good work!

I'm happy that i can keep on using appfuse :)

tibi

On 20-11-14 22:28, Matt Raible wrote:
[...]

Matt:

This is good. I agree with the maintenance part. When companies have these convoluted applications, they don’t even want to change to something better because the maintenance cost to use the improvement is too high. AppFuse has shown that the improvements can be used year after year and done easily. While things may look complicated, I don’t think people realize, one guy (Matt Raible) normally does this after work with a laptop and an ice-cold beer. Everywhere I have the opportunity to market this application, I do so.

And, I’ve just come up with a huge application for it that I’m getting ready to put on Kickstarter for funding. I want to host an application similar to Craig’s List (strong servers) and get a community of developers to help me write it. When I came up with the business idea (a dot-org) I needed an application that could be used by anyone around the world to get together like-minded folks that just want to play music together and for an audience of 1-to-whatever.  These people would be like me and just want to play to an audience live and not for a living, but as amateurs with a need to fill, pat on the back, smile from a parent, etc.  And, this application needs to be hosted on strong servers and the application needs to be written easily and easily maintained.  It also needs to be well understood by the people that maintain it. AppFuse is my first choice.  No questions, worries, or concerns.

P.S. I hope to help you more with this soon. I’m considering contracting again. I don’t do well when I’m told "no, we can’t change that now."

David