Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Hello everyone,

Last night, I started working on AppFuse 4.0, with the following features from the roadmap:

        • Remove XML wherever possible
        • Java 8
        • Spring Boot
        • Spring Data
        • JSR 303 (might require removing or developing client-side support)

As I started removing XML and integrating Spring Boot and Spring Data, it quickly became apparent that it’d be a lot of work to make all of these changes. My guess is it’d take over 100 hours of my time to do everything. This is time I’d be taking away from my family and personal time.

At the end of last year, I wanted to make AppFuse 4.0 happen because I thought it’d help me stay up-to-date with Java technologies and learn some things along the way. As I dug into the codebase last night, I realized it’d be more of a headache than a learning experience. It seems there would be little reward for all the work.

Because there’s little-to-no activity on the mailing list these days, it seems like it’s the right time to shutdown the project and dedicate my free time to other open source endeavors. As you might know, I’m a big fan of JHipster (http://jhipster.github.io/). It combines AngularJS and Spring Boot and has all the features that AppFuse has - but with a more modern technology stack.

If we had everything hosted on GitHub, I think it’d make sense to add a line to the README that says “This project is no longer maintained”. However, since there’s a lot hosted on appfuse.org (with Confluence), it might not be that easy. Maybe it’s possible to export everything from Confluence to static HTML pages and host them somewhere with the same URLs so there’s not a bunch of 404s from shutting down the project.

Thank you for your contributions over the years. AppFuse was pretty cool back in the day, but now there’s better solutions.

Cheers,

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Jorge Ruiz Aquino
Thank you Matt,

This was an awesome project.
I learned a lot using it while i was at school.

Again, thank you too much for all of your effort and your time on it.

[...]

Mobile: (956) 220-7249

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

tibi
hi matt,

to bad! i have used appfuse many times and a lot off my projects are
still based on appfuse.
but the questions is will i use appfuse for a new project? i think i
would but it could be right that jhipster is better than appfuse and you
are now forcing me to improve.

i will look into jhipster to see if it is better, i hope so ;)

tibi

On 17-02-16 19:44, Matt Raible wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Last night, I started working on AppFuse 4.0, with the following features from the roadmap:
>
> • Remove XML wherever possible
> • Java 8
> • Spring Boot
> • Spring Data
> • JSR 303 (might require removing or developing client-side support)
>
> As I started removing XML and integrating Spring Boot and Spring Data, it quickly became apparent that it’d be a lot of work to make all of these changes. My guess is it’d take over 100 hours of my time to do everything. This is time I’d be taking away from my family and personal time.
>
> At the end of last year, I wanted to make AppFuse 4.0 happen because I thought it’d help me stay up-to-date with Java technologies and learn some things along the way. As I dug into the codebase last night, I realized it’d be more of a headache than a learning experience. It seems there would be little reward for all the work.
>
> Because there’s little-to-no activity on the mailing list these days, it seems like it’s the right time to shutdown the project and dedicate my free time to other open source endeavors. As you might know, I’m a big fan of JHipster (http://jhipster.github.io/). It combines AngularJS and Spring Boot and has all the features that AppFuse has - but with a more modern technology stack.
>
> If we had everything hosted on GitHub, I think it’d make sense to add a line to the README that says “This project is no longer maintained”. However, since there’s a lot hosted on appfuse.org (with Confluence), it might not be that easy. Maybe it’s possible to export everything from Confluence to static HTML pages and host them somewhere with the same URLs so there’s not a bunch of 404s from shutting down the project.
>
> Thank you for your contributions over the years. AppFuse was pretty cool back in the day, but now there’s better solutions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

ivangsa
it's just natural

thanks a lot Matt for all your effort, there was a lot of learrning from appfuse

cheers
ivan

Enviado desde el ZapatoPhono

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Jamie
Matt,

I'm really sorry to hear your decision to close Appfuse.

This has been one of my favourites projects over the years.

May I thank you for all your time and effort - I love the ideals of open source and the core people behind the effort.

Sorry to see Appfuse archived but understand that we all have life interests from time to time.

Many thanks,

Jamie

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:44:47 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [appfuse-dev] Moving AppFuse into the Attic
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Last night, I started working on AppFuse 4.0, with the following features from the roadmap:
>
> • Remove XML wherever possible
> • Java 8
> • Spring Boot
> • Spring Data
> • JSR 303 (might require removing or developing client-side support)
>
> As I started removing XML and integrating Spring Boot and Spring Data, it quickly became apparent that it’d be a lot of work to make all of these changes. My guess is it’d take over 100 hours of my time to do everything. This is time I’d be taking away from my family and personal time.
>
> At the end of last year, I wanted to make AppFuse 4.0 happen because I thought it’d help me stay up-to-date with Java technologies and learn some things along the way. As I dug into the codebase last night, I realized it’d be more of a headache than a learning experience. It seems there would be little reward for all the work.
>
> Because there’s little-to-no activity on the mailing list these days, it seems like it’s the right time to shutdown the project and dedicate my free time to other open source endeavors. As you might know, I’m a big fan of JHipster (http://jhipster.github.io/). It combines AngularJS and Spring Boot and has all the features that AppFuse has - but with a more modern technology stack.
>
> If we had everything hosted on GitHub, I think it’d make sense to add a line to the README that says “This project is no longer maintained”. However, since there’s a lot hosted on appfuse.org (with Confluence), it might not be that easy. Maybe it’s possible to export everything from Confluence to static HTML pages and host them somewhere with the same URLs so there’s not a bunch of 404s from shutting down the project.
>
> Thank you for your contributions over the years. AppFuse was pretty cool back in the day, but now there’s better solutions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

kossel
Too bad to hear this news, but it's just natural...this project helped me a lot learning properly java, thanks for all your time and effort!

it will be archived in our memory

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Jamie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Matt,

I'm really sorry to hear your decision to close Appfuse.

This has been one of my favourites projects over the years.

May I thank you for all your time and effort - I love the ideals of open source and the core people behind the effort.

Sorry to see Appfuse archived but understand that we all have life interests from time to time.

Many thanks,

Jamie

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:44:47 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [appfuse-dev] Moving AppFuse into the Attic

> Hello everyone,
>
> Last night, I started working on AppFuse 4.0, with the following features from the roadmap:
>
> • Remove XML wherever possible
> • Java 8
> • Spring Boot
> • Spring Data
> • JSR 303 (might require removing or developing client-side support)
>
> As I started removing XML and integrating Spring Boot and Spring Data, it quickly became apparent that it’d be a lot of work to make all of these changes. My guess is it’d take over 100 hours of my time to do everything. This is time I’d be taking away from my family and personal time.
>
> At the end of last year, I wanted to make AppFuse 4.0 happen because I thought it’d help me stay up-to-date with Java technologies and learn some things along the way. As I dug into the codebase last night, I realized it’d be more of a headache than a learning experience. It seems there would be little reward for all the work.
>
> Because there’s little-to-no activity on the mailing list these days, it seems like it’s the right time to shutdown the project and dedicate my free time to other open source endeavors. As you might know, I’m a big fan of JHipster (http://jhipster.github.io/). It combines AngularJS and Spring Boot and has all the features that AppFuse has - but with a more modern technology stack.
>
> If we had everything hosted on GitHub, I think it’d make sense to add a line to the README that says “This project is no longer maintained”. However, since there’s a lot hosted on appfuse.org (with Confluence), it might not be that easy. Maybe it’s possible to export everything from Confluence to static HTML pages and host them somewhere with the same URLs so there’s not a bunch of 404s from shutting down the project.
>
> Thank you for your contributions over the years. AppFuse was pretty cool back in the day, but now there’s better solutions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Nathan Anderson
Thanks Matt for all that you have put into AppFuse. In the past few years new projects I have built have been based on the principles I have learned while using AppFuse rather than using one of the Maven Archetypes. I'll certainly keep an eye on JHipster when the need arises for a new stack.

Thanks again,
Nathan

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Yichao Zhu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Too bad to hear this news, but it's just natural...this project helped me a lot learning properly java, thanks for all your time and effort!

it will be archived in our memory

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Jamie <[hidden email]> wrote:
Matt,

I'm really sorry to hear your decision to close Appfuse.

This has been one of my favourites projects over the years.

May I thank you for all your time and effort - I love the ideals of open source and the core people behind the effort.

Sorry to see Appfuse archived but understand that we all have life interests from time to time.

Many thanks,

Jamie

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:44:47 -0700
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [appfuse-dev] Moving AppFuse into the Attic

> Hello everyone,
>
> Last night, I started working on AppFuse 4.0, with the following features from the roadmap:
>
> • Remove XML wherever possible
> • Java 8
> • Spring Boot
> • Spring Data
> • JSR 303 (might require removing or developing client-side support)
>
> As I started removing XML and integrating Spring Boot and Spring Data, it quickly became apparent that it’d be a lot of work to make all of these changes. My guess is it’d take over 100 hours of my time to do everything. This is time I’d be taking away from my family and personal time.
>
> At the end of last year, I wanted to make AppFuse 4.0 happen because I thought it’d help me stay up-to-date with Java technologies and learn some things along the way. As I dug into the codebase last night, I realized it’d be more of a headache than a learning experience. It seems there would be little reward for all the work.
>
> Because there’s little-to-no activity on the mailing list these days, it seems like it’s the right time to shutdown the project and dedicate my free time to other open source endeavors. As you might know, I’m a big fan of JHipster (http://jhipster.github.io/). It combines AngularJS and Spring Boot and has all the features that AppFuse has - but with a more modern technology stack.
>
> If we had everything hosted on GitHub, I think it’d make sense to add a line to the README that says “This project is no longer maintained”. However, since there’s a lot hosted on appfuse.org (with Confluence), it might not be that easy. Maybe it’s possible to export everything from Confluence to static HTML pages and host them somewhere with the same URLs so there’s not a bunch of 404s from shutting down the project.
>
> Thank you for your contributions over the years. AppFuse was pretty cool back in the day, but now there’s better solutions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

David Whitehurst-2
Matt:

I hate to see this go. I've been so focused on trying to survive. I can't travel all the time and to stay put I've had to do suck work. Everywhere I've had any level of influence, I've pitched AppFuse and Continuous integration of any kind. In September I finished a nice contract using a AppFuse and Struts w/Bootstrap providing really nice user environment for iPhone sales people. I've had a really hard time finding future work for my business so it's back to cubicle seat-warming. And, everyone is looking for Node and Angular experts. So, I started two projects because I see the need for separation of concerns (and Julien noted this in JHipster post). My projects will be Bend (BackEND) and Fend (FrontEnd). I'm currently using Express and Mongo for the backend thing, but I want to do AppFuse-like choices. And, I'm using AngularJS for the front end app.

And, while I still see the need for a single thing with option choices. I'm doing my projects just to start the serious learning so while I do this interviewing song and dance again.

Everyone that knows about AppFuse appreciates it. And, I wish that more of these antiquated pointy-headed executives had known more about it. It would have made some terrible huge applications much much better.

Thanks again, Matt,

David

--

David L. Whitehurst
Software Professional
2932 Tram Road, Fuquay Varina NC 27526
919-605-6529 (mobile)

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Dale Newfield
As usual, you're illustrating not just the obvious parts of the open source movement, but the difficult parts, too.  One piece that I rarely seen executed gracefully is knowing when to stop.  It is much better to clearly indicate both EOL and the replacement you advise than to just abandon the effort.

Thanks for all your efforts over the years!
-Dale

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Ebrahim Pasbani
Thank you Matt for every effort you did.
I've done 2 projects with appfuse and they are in production successfully for years.
I appreciate all you did.

Best

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 12:04 AM, Dale Newfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
As usual, you're illustrating not just the obvious parts of the open source movement, but the difficult parts, too.  One piece that I rarely seen executed gracefully is knowing when to stop.  It is much better to clearly indicate both EOL and the replacement you advise than to just abandon the effort.

Thanks for all your efforts over the years!
-Dale

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Serge Eby-2
Matt,

With AppFuse, you paved the way for all these new tools and helped the community tremendously.

Job well done!

Thank you

--
Serge

-Dale

Re: Moving AppFuse into the Attic

Francisco Tochetto
Same here, I've led a project based on AppFuse which received lots of compliments from tech and non tech people.

All credits go to Matt.

Thanks mate!

Francisco

On 18 Feb 2016, at 02:11, Anthony Yuan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

rmartinez
Hello Matt,

thank you for sharing this awesome project.
I have used Appfuse in 2 personal projects since some years ago.

Again thank you.
A bad new for me.