New version of AppFuse

Mitul Gandhi
Hello Matt,

Let me take a chance to appreciate your efforts put into AppFuse project before my question below.

Where can I find latest road map for AppFuse? Any plans on introducing a new version of AppFuse in near future?

Regards,
Mitul Gandhi

Re: New version of AppFuse

Hello Mitul,

I’ve decided not to continue working on AppFuse and to focus my open source activities on other projects. I sent a letter to the developer’s mailing list back in February. I’ve copied it below.

Hello everyone,

Last night, I started working on AppFuse 4.0, with the following features from the roadmap:

        • Remove XML wherever possible
        • Java 8
        • Spring Boot
        • Spring Data
        • JSR 303 (might require removing or developing client-side support)

As I started removing XML and integrating Spring Boot and Spring Data, it quickly became apparent that it’d be a lot of work to make all of these changes. My guess is it’d take over 100 hours of my time to do everything. This is time I’d be taking away from my family and personal time.

At the end of last year, I wanted to make AppFuse 4.0 happen because I thought it’d help me stay up-to-date with Java technologies and learn some things along the way. As I dug into the codebase last night, I realized it’d be more of a headache than a learning experience. It seems there would be little reward for all the work.

Because there’s little-to-no activity on the mailing list these days, it seems like it’s the right time to shutdown the project and dedicate my free time to other open source endeavors. As you might know, I’m a big fan of JHipster (http://jhipster.github.io/). It combines AngularJS and Spring Boot and has all the features that AppFuse has - but with a more modern technology stack.

If we had everything hosted on GitHub, I think it’d make sense to add a line to the README that says “This project is no longer maintained”. However, since there’s a lot hosted on appfuse.org (with Confluence), it might not be that easy. Maybe it’s possible to export everything from Confluence to static HTML pages and host them somewhere with the same URLs so there’s not a bunch of 404s from shutting down the project.

Thank you for your contributions over the years. AppFuse was pretty cool back in the day, but now there’s better solutions.

I’ve been talking with Contegix about keeping the documentation on appfuse.org up and running and they’ve agreed to do it for the next 12 months. I plan to announce this on my blog this week.

Cheers,

Matt