Update on 3.5.0 Release

Hey all,

I spent several hours last night updating the demos to show folks how to upgrade a 3.0 app to 3.5. I haven't checked anything in yet, but I've made good progress. I still need to complete the following:

1. Update Spring and Struts Tutorials
2. Update Tapestry module and update tutorial
3. Create Wicket module and tutorial

I was hoping to finish up everything this week, release over the weekend and announce it next week. However, there's probably 6-8 more hours of work and I don't know that I'll get it to it this weekend.

#2 should only take 1-2 hours, but #3 will likely take a good chunk of time.

Cheers,

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Serge Eby-2
Great!
Can you push your changes on a branch? I can put in a few hours.

--
Serge

> On Feb 13, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Matt Raible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I spent several hours last night updating the demos to show folks how to upgrade a 3.0 app to 3.5. I haven't checked anything in yet, but I've made good progress. I still need to complete the following:
>
> 1. Update Spring and Struts Tutorials
> 2. Update Tapestry module and update tutorial
> 3. Create Wicket module and tutorial
>
> I was hoping to finish up everything this week, release over the weekend and announce it next week. However, there's probably 6-8 more hours of work and I don't know that I'll get it to it this weekend.
>
> #2 should only take 1-2 hours, but #3 will likely take a good chunk of time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

tibi
Matt,

nice plan. good work!

tibi

On 13-02-15 19:00, Matt Raible wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I spent several hours last night updating the demos to show folks how
> to upgrade a 3.0 app to 3.5. I haven't checked anything in yet, but
> I've made good progress. I still need to complete the following:
>
> 1. Update Spring and Struts Tutorials
> 2. Update Tapestry module and update tutorial
> 3. Create Wicket module and tutorial
>
> I was hoping to finish up everything this week, release over the
> weekend and announce it next week. However, there's probably 6-8 more
> hours of work and I don't know that I'll get it to it this weekend.
>
> #2 should only take 1-2 hours, but #3 will likely take a good chunk of
> time.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Good idea. I just did - they're on the "3.5-upgrade" branch in the appfuse-demos project.

https://github.com/appfuse/appfuse-demos/tree/3.5-upgrade

The JIRA for this is APF-1419.

To show users how to upgrade for the last release, I leveraged Crucible and created code reviews they could view. We can do that again. This allows us to cherry pick from various commits to show what it took for a particular framework. To see what I mean, see the 3.0 release notes' "Upgrade Guide" section.

http://appfuse.org/display/APF/Release+Notes+3.0.0

Happy Friday!

Matt

> On Feb 13, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Serge Eby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Great!
> Can you push your changes on a branch? I can put in a few hours.
>
> --
> Serge
>
>> On Feb 13, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Matt Raible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I spent several hours last night updating the demos to show folks how to upgrade a 3.0 app to 3.5. I haven't checked anything in yet, but I've made good progress. I still need to complete the following:
>>
>> 1. Update Spring and Struts Tutorials
>> 2. Update Tapestry module and update tutorial
>> 3. Create Wicket module and tutorial
>>
>> I was hoping to finish up everything this week, release over the weekend and announce it next week. However, there's probably 6-8 more hours of work and I don't know that I'll get it to it this weekend.
>>
>> #2 should only take 1-2 hours, but #3 will likely take a good chunk of time.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matt

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Hello all,

I've finished upgrading all the tutorials and their associated appfuse-demo modules. You can see the pull request for all the changes at:

According to this, almost 5K lines were eliminated in the upgrade!

I've created the Release Notes too:

Only one issue left - creating a tutorial for Wicket.

Cheers,

Matt

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Matt Raible <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good idea. I just did - they're on the "3.5-upgrade" branch in the appfuse-demos project.

https://github.com/appfuse/appfuse-demos/tree/3.5-upgrade

The JIRA for this is APF-1419.

To show users how to upgrade for the last release, I leveraged Crucible and created code reviews they could view. We can do that again. This allows us to cherry pick from various commits to show what it took for a particular framework. To see what I mean, see the 3.0 release notes' "Upgrade Guide" section.

http://appfuse.org/display/APF/Release+Notes+3.0.0

Happy Friday!

Matt

> On Feb 13, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Serge Eby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Great!
> Can you push your changes on a branch? I can put in a few hours.
>
> --
> Serge
>
>> On Feb 13, 2015, at 10:00 AM, Matt Raible <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I spent several hours last night updating the demos to show folks how to upgrade a 3.0 app to 3.5. I haven't checked anything in yet, but I've made good progress. I still need to complete the following:
>>
>> 1. Update Spring and Struts Tutorials
>> 2. Update Tapestry module and update tutorial
>> 3. Create Wicket module and tutorial
>>
>> I was hoping to finish up everything this week, release over the weekend and announce it next week. However, there's probably 6-8 more hours of work and I don't know that I'll get it to it this weekend.
>>
>> #2 should only take 1-2 hours, but #3 will likely take a good chunk of time.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Matt

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Serge Eby-2
Thanks Matt!

I will take a stab at APF-1418.

Serge

Serge Eby

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Cool - thanks Serge!

Here was what I was going to do to create it:

1. Copy the Tapestry (or JSF) Tutorial since they’re likely the most similar and will contain the same steps.
2. Create a new tutorial-wicket project. The create-tutorials.sh script will do this for you, or you can just copy the last line to create the archetype. Add the module to the root pom.xml.
3. Copy the Person.java class from another tutorial project (they should all be the same) into tutorial-wicket.
4. Run “mvn appfuse:gen -Dentity=Person” to generate the code that you’ll use in the tutorial.
5. Write the tutorial and copy/paste code, run tests, etc. to make sure what you’re writing actually works. ;)

You’ll likely have to modify the code generated in step #4 to walk users through building up the screens, adding validation, etc. Most of the other tutorials don’t contain search logic in the list controllers/actions, so you can leave that out if you like.

Cheers,

Matt

Serge Eby

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Serge Eby-2
Sounds good!

Serge

--
Serge Eby

Serge Eby

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Hey Serge,

I’d like to finish up the release tonight. Do you need some help finishing the Wicket tutorial? I’d be happy to assist.

I’ve staged the release on oss.sonatype.org so if the Wicket tutorial is completed w/o finding any bugs, we can release to Maven Central.

I updated the Release Process wiki page to use a simpler process that doesn’t use the Maven Release Plugin.

I’ve completed up to Step #6.

Cheers,

Matt

--
Serge Eby

Serge Eby

Re: Update on 3.5.0 Release

Serge Eby-2
Yes, any help would be appreciated. I pushed some changes yesterday in confluence but didn't get much time today. It was taking longer than I expected.

--
Serge

--
Serge Eby