[appfuse-user] Newbie dealing with Timezones

[appfuse-user] Newbie dealing with Timezones

Ernesto Echeverria
Hello all.

Let's say my timezone is GMT-6. However my ISP provider has a different
timezone (GMT-7). The data kept in the database is stored within the
provider's timezone.

Even though I know I only have to add 1 hour to the data if I want to
analyze it relative to my timezone, I'd like to know if there are other
ways to deal with this... like setting the timezone applicationwide or
something like that.

Thanks In Advance...

Re: [appfuse-user] Newbie dealing with Timezones

Matt Raible-3
You can set it JVM-wide by using TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone) - but
I've seen this cause problems with other apps.  A better workaround is
to format all your dates with GMT.  Another solution is to start
Tomcat with your desired TimeZone.  This is what I do on
raibledesigns.com.  To do this, I set a CATALINA_OPTS environment
variable as follows:

CATALINA_OPTS='-server -Xms256M -Xmx256M -Duser.timezone=America/Denver'

Matt

On 7/26/05, Ernesto Echeverria <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Let's say my timezone is GMT-6. However my ISP provider has a different
> timezone (GMT-7). The data kept in the database is stored within the
> provider's timezone.
>
> Even though I know I only have to add 1 hour to the data if I want to
> analyze it relative to my timezone, I'd like to know if there are other
> ways to deal with this... like setting the timezone applicationwide or
> something like that.
>
> Thanks In Advance...

RE: [appfuse-user] Newbie dealing with Timezones

Simon Ward
Is you Tomcat deployment also managed by your ISP? If so can you change
the configuration settings or are you only able to deploy apps to it?

Cheers,
Simon

You can set it JVM-wide by using TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone) - but
I've seen this cause problems with other apps.  A better workaround is
to format all your dates with GMT.  Another solution is to start
Tomcat with your desired TimeZone.  This is what I do on
raibledesigns.com.  To do this, I set a CATALINA_OPTS environment
variable as follows:

CATALINA_OPTS='-server -Xms256M -Xmx256M -Duser.timezone=America/Denver'

Matt

On 7/26/05, Ernesto Echeverria <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Let's say my timezone is GMT-6. However my ISP provider has a
different
> timezone (GMT-7). The data kept in the database is stored within the
> provider's timezone.
>
> Even though I know I only have to add 1 hour to the data if I want to
> analyze it relative to my timezone, I'd like to know if there are
other

> ways to deal with this... like setting the timezone applicationwide or
> something like that.
>
> Thanks In Advance...

[appfuse-user] Re: Newbie dealing with Timezones

Ernesto Echeverria
the CATALINA_OPTS worked fine. Thanks, Matt!!!

Matt Raible wrote:

> You can set it JVM-wide by using TimeZone.setDefault(TimeZone) - but
> I've seen this cause problems with other apps.  A better workaround is
> to format all your dates with GMT.  Another solution is to start
> Tomcat with your desired TimeZone.  This is what I do on
> raibledesigns.com.  To do this, I set a CATALINA_OPTS environment
> variable as follows:
>
> CATALINA_OPTS='-server -Xms256M -Xmx256M -Duser.timezone=America/Denver'
>
> Matt
>
> On 7/26/05, Ernesto Echeverria <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>Hello all.
>>
>>Let's say my timezone is GMT-6. However my ISP provider has a different
>>timezone (GMT-7). The data kept in the database is stored within the
>>provider's timezone.
>>
>>Even though I know I only have to add 1 hour to the data if I want to
>>analyze it relative to my timezone, I'd like to know if there are other
>>ways to deal with this... like setting the timezone applicationwide or
>>something like that.
>>
>>Thanks In Advance...

[appfuse-user] Re: Newbie dealing with Timezones

Ernesto Echeverria
I have access to my own Tomcat instance, so Matt's recommendation for
setting CATALINA_OPTS made the trick.

Thanks.

Simon Ward wrote:

> Is you Tomcat deployment also managed by your ISP? If so can you change
> the configuration settings or are you only able to deploy apps to it?
>

> Cheers,
> Simon

RE: [appfuse-user] Re: Newbie dealing with Timezones

Simon Ward
No worries, glad you got it sorted